North Jackson, OH 44451
2001 Thomas School Bus
Cummins 5.9L Diesel Engine
Registered as in Ohio as an RV
We also have the components for a 1350 Watt Solar panel system for an additional $1500.
After a year of time, sweat, and pride, we’ve decided to sell the Blunderbus. We love her dearly, but it has become clear that when we go camping, we need another vehicle. There are now 9 of us, and renting a vehicle that can transport us when we arrive at a destination costs nearly as much as a hotel.
We had initially planned on using the bus as a Big Metal Tent when visiting the orchard, but it has become so much more. Even so, our losses in the orchard have made spending the night and working all weekend superfluous, so it’s time to let the bus go. We will miss her!
- The interior space is amazing and is one of a kind.
- The dinettes have seat belts for 11 passengers.
- The kitchen cabinets are far nicer than I’ve seen in any RV.
- Skoolies are made from steel, not wood and fiberglass.
- The vehicle has 120,000 miles on a solid cummins 5.9L diesel engine.
- The payload is amazing! While a typical RV has a payload of about a ton, this vehicle is radically more substantial.
- Sleeping for 6, or more if you are creative. There are provisions to turn each dinette into a short bunk as well.
The Not so Good:
- The air chambers/tanks are rusty and should probably be replaced. They work just fine right now.
- There is sheetmetal damage to the door of the storage bay and the body just behind. It is visible in the beginning of the walkthrough. Meyers Equipment has replacement doors available.
- The floor of the storage bay is pretty rusted and would need body work before it would be useable.
- There is rust on the frame and the body, so the blunderbus isn’t going to be winning any beauty contests, though she should have many years left in her.
- There are no water systems and only a porta-pottie (never used) as shown in the walkthrough. We use 5 gallon water-cooler jugs for drinking & dishes. We use campground facilities for rest rooms.